Earn commissions from your Wedding Gift List!

More details >>

      Thursday, 22nd March

Wedding Law

Luckily there isn't too much red tape in the process of getting married - well, not enough to spoil the romance anyway!

A marriage ceremony can be performed in England and Wales at any of the following places:

  • A registery office
  • A venue approved for civil marriage
  • An Anglican church
  • Any religious building that is registered for the solemnisation of marriage

Below are the things you need to know:

  • You both must be over 18
  • If one or both of you are aged 16-18, you will need written permission from a parent or legal guardian.
  • You may only hold the official ceremony at licensed venues/religious establishments - but you can then hold a 'humanist ceremony' or a 'blessing' where ever you wish to.
  • Visit your local council's offices or website to obtain a marriage certificate

The links below will take you to the General Register Office where you can find out all the information you need about documentation and making your marriage official:

Religious Ceremonies

Civil Marriages

Residency Requirements

Documentation Required to Get Married

Giving Notice of a Marriage

Getting Married Abroad

Registering an Overseas Marriage in England and Wales

Obtaining or Correcting a Marriage Certificate

Return to Planning Help category page